The consequence of heat stress on our swine is not purely linked to increased body temperature but can also result in:
- Leaky gut and oxidative stress due to reduced blood flow to the gut and organs.
- Impaired nutrient absorption, metabolism, and energy production.
- Disruption of gut microbiota.
- Suppressed immunity, which may lead to the animal becoming more susceptible to opportunistic diseases.
- Impaired reproduction due to the production of stress hormones.
Management and Nutrition are critical in an integrated approach to managing heat stress. AgriFARMACY SA stocks three feed additives from Allied Nutrition that may help minimize the impact of heat stress on swine:
Acid Buf is calcified marine algae (CMA) sourced from the sea which supplies readily available calcium and magnesium to swine.
In heat stress, Acid Buf assists in:
- Maintaining tight junction proteins to help minimize leaky gut.
- Regulating stress response from the brain to other organs in the body.
Xtract 6930 is a phytonutrient product containing Capsaicin (from chili peppers), Cinnamaldehyde (from cinnamon), and Carvacrol (from origanum).
In heat stress, Xtract 6930 helps to:
- Increase blood flow to the skin, gut, and organs.
- Strengthen the antioxidant system (cells and liver).
- Protect the liver.
- Improve digestion (more nutrients available).
- Improve gut integrity and microflora balance.
- Limit inflammation, allowing for an energy sparing effect.
- Sucram is a unique patented high-intensity sweetener and taste enhancer and assists with glucose absorption in heat stress.
Read more about the physiological impact of heat stress.